Magnolia Mound Plantation:
The original section of the
Main House was built c. 1791; the house was expanded to its present size
at the beginning of the nineteenth century. At that time unusual details,
such as a rare cove ceiling and Federal accents, were added.
Surrounded by 100-year-old live oaks,
the house has retained its Creole plan and character for over 200 years.
Its construction is of cypress beams with bousillage-entre-poteau, and the
original cypress flooring runs throughout the house. The furnishings are
the finest example of Federal and Louisiana-made artifacts.
The plantation consists of 16 acres of
the original 900. In addition to the main buildings, it offers a
vegetable-and-herb kitchen garden. The crop garden produces examples of
the variety of cash crops (indigo, white and brown cotton, perique
tobacco, and sugar cane) grown during various time periods in the life of
the plantation. The pigeonnier housed young pigeons (squab), a delicacy in
early America. The Overseer's House, original to Magnolia Mound, was found
in the surrounding residential area and moved to its present site. It is
now used for educational programs.
Plantation KitchenThe Magnolia Mound Plantation
kitchen has been reconstructed on its original site. Costumed docents
demonstrate open-hearth cooking, using period implements and techniques,
on Tuesdays and Thursdays, from October through May.
Quarter HouseThe slave quarter house was
originally located on River Lake Plantation, the birthplace of writer
Ernest Gaines. It is now the focus of Magnolia Moundís Beyond the Big
House tour, which is available through reservation only. One side of
the house is furnished as a typical slave quarter house, while the other
side houses an exhibit on slave life.
HouseBuilt Built in 1904 and
listed on the National Register of Historic Places, Hart House offers an
intimate atmosphere for gatherings and functions. The home can accommodate
30 seated and up to 100 standing. The grounds are also available for
rental. For more information, call (225) 343-4955.
Educational ProgramsHands-on learning activities
are available for school and special interest groups. These activities
help visitors to immerse themselves in southern plantation life. Visitors
can cook in the period kitchen, weave cotton cloth, make pottery and
paper, and write with quill pens. In addition, the plantation offers
lectures, craft classes, special events, summer camps, and demonstration
days throughout the year. Call (225) 343-4955 for schedules and
Visitors CenterIn addition to housing a museum
shop, the Visitors Center has exhibits, videos, and a diorama of the
plantation. It is also handicapped-accessible.